Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What One Man Can Do

Sometimes we are blessed to have someone come into our lives that changes us forever. At a time when I felt broken, lonely, empty and afraid- this wonderful man- Michael G. Scott- came into my life. He mended my broken heart, filled the emptiness in my soul, and taught me to face life with courage and joy! We were married Oct. 24, 1998 and just 4 short months later- he was in a fatal car crash (2/25/1999). Today, I post to honor him and share a few memories.
Mike and I had actually known each other for nearly 25 years-ironically, he was my college roommate's boyfriend!
We were both in ISU choir back then and enjoyed a wonderful friendship.... he was so fun- always making everyone laugh and making sure everyone was okay.
Anyway-fast forward to summer, (August 1998)-a friend of mine talked me into going to a singles' picnic on Scout Mountain. I usually avoided those activities like the plague and even surprised myself by agreeing to go. In fact, the whole week before I kept trying to think of a way to get out of it- I even tried to enlist my daughter, Heather, in making excuses for me. She refused- saying- "you should go, Mom- you never know, you might meet the man you're supposed to marry." Hah!
I was sure those singles activities were only for "losers"-- much to my surprise, I met many old and new friends upon arriving there... people just like me, looking for friendship and just something fun to do. I was really nervous and as I looked around, I saw Mike standing up under some trees.
It was as if he was bathed- surrounded- in a bright welcoming light.... without hesitation, I was completely impelled to walk up to him and when I said, "Hi, Mike- remember me?"- He instantly wrapped his arm around me and exclaimed- "Roxanne!- how the heck are you?" From that moment on, we spent nearly every waking moment together... his proposal was just as original and unique as only he could be..
I was working at Bannock Hospital and he called me to say he'd had an accident. Said he cut his finger with a saw and was coming to the emergency room and could I meet him there? Of course I was very alarmed! This man was generally a fix-it-myself guy- whether it was work, injuries, cleaning-you name it. So I'm out in the parking lot, pacing, worrying and his truck pulls in. I run out to meet him and when he gets out, his hand is wrapped in this odd looking shiny, yellow paper... I urge him to hurry, but he says wait a minute. He then gets down on his knee, unwraps his hand, and presents a diamond ring as he asks me to marry him! I shouldn't have been too surprised- he talked about marrying me from that very first night- but I was truly, unbelievably stunned! Somehow, I ended up down on my knees also- crying and laughing and saying over and over- yes! yes! yes! He then proceeded to tell me how he had met with each of my children earlier in the day and asked them one by one for permission to marry their mom. He had already won their hearts over, but that gesture meant the world to them and still does.
Of course, by the time I got back into my office, the hospital grapevine had already been alerted and for the rest of the day there was a steady stream of well wishers dropping by to see the ring and share my joy!
In the short time we had together we built a lifetime of memories- from Hawaii to the Coca Cola Factory/Museum in Atlanta, GA to Hurricane, UT. From climbing Red Hill and sitting up there talking for hours to soaking in our own hot tub-from camping with Donnie & Katie, a Disney trip with the kids-a furniture buying trip to SLC- going to the temple together and studying and preparing our Sunday School lessons together-dates with friends and with family- laughing and loving and sharing some of the sweetest-most wonderful moments to some of the deepest, amazing times anyone could ever wish for.... it seems we did it all.
So today- in your honor, Mike-(from this "yellow girl to her pink boy") I share my heart, my love and my gratitude for all you did and all you taught me and my children... and I thank my Father in Heaven for the gift of that sweet moment in time He gave us to share here in our earthly journey- knowing that it will be eternal someday and we will be together again.















Listen to the words of John Denver's song- "What One Man Can Do"- and you will know Mike.

4 comments:

Heather said...

Beautiful. Love you!

Katie said...

That is really great. I remember camping, it was always fun to be around him. He always made your day a better one.

Kristy said...

Hi Roxanne,
I'm so glad we have found each other again. I've been reading back on your blog as well, and you seem so happy. I loved reading this post, he was a wonderful person, and it made me cry to read how he asked your kids permission to marry you. What a considerate person. I'm glad you have found happiness again though, you truly deserve it. You are such a fun person, I have a lot of good memories with you and your family. Heather and Donnie's kids are adorable! I can tell you love being a grandma. My baby is my parents' only grandchild, they love her to pieces. Too bad we live so far away. I will tell my parents hi from you, I know they miss you too. I'll give my mom your blog address. She can never figure out how to comment, I'll show her again!

Dani said...

Roxanne, although I dont know you all that well, you are an inspiration to me. I love reading your blog because I can really tell what a kind person you are and I can feel how strong your testimony is. How wonderful of you to do this for Mike. Im sure you guys had a one of a kind of love. Thank you for your comments!!