Sunday, March 6, 2011

Oh How I Lo-ove To Sing!

This fall I joined the Boise Master Chorale (now known as Boise Philharmonic Master Chorale). We have around 100 singers! It has been such an amazing experience. I have missed singing with Camerata so much since moving from Pocatello... and although I don't quite have the same bond of love and friendship as Camerata (more like a family to me than anything)- it is delightful sharing classical music with such an awesome choir. Our director is the director of choirs at Boise State University and he is really, really good. He is fun and I am learning so much from him. I just adored Scott Anderson, the director of Camerata, I didn't know how it would be singing for another director. But it is just as musically fulfilling and he is just as fun. I haven't gotten into the tradition of going out to a restaurant/club each week following practice as a big group of members do- it's kinda hard since I live about 20 miles away. Not like going to Buddy's each week after Camerata.


This is the back wall of the Balcony at the Methodist Church in Boise, The Cathedral of The Rockies where we performed with the Boise Baroque Orchestra today. All the windows in the building were beautiful and acoustics were fabulous. After each number the hall just rang - practically breathed with the sound.

I have been thinking today about my love of music. I'm not an avid, educated musician- I know tons of music but couldn't really tell you the names or composers like some people can. I just know I have been blessed with this love that is so deep and so resonant in my heart and soul. A friend once asked me how I could "stand" opera music or classical music and I tried to explain but he just didn't get it. How do you verbally explain the visceral warmth and swelling of your heart to this music to someone who doesn't feel it and probably never will? I told him listening or participating in classical music or opera filled my whole being with joy....
I believe some people were created and destined to compose amazing, eternally enduring music- such as Handel's Messiah, and some of us were created and blessed with the pure love and ability to soak in that music - to let that music define the color of our hearts and spirits.

I also believe that though we lovers of music may not ever gain notoriety or fame- we are so much more blessed (and thankful) for this gift than the world may ever know. I believe that some of us were there, singing with the angels to herald the birth of Christ. I believe we will be singing again in heaven among the angels and the great composers of all times.
I see this love of music in my children- they may have different musical taste in some ways, but they too have been blessed with spirits open to the message and peace of music. I like to imagine us singing side by side at Christ's birth and through eternity.

Here are a few more of the pictures Jim took today- I was hoping for a picture of the entire choir and orchestra, but here's what we got... (my sweet husband does not take the best pictures, but at least he is there, always loving and supporting me.... in fact tonight when I thanked him again for being there he got quite emotional (teary) and told me how much he loves seeing me living my dream)....

This is me and a friend from choir. Her name is Carol and she just came up and asked us to take a picture with her. She's really nice and interesting. She has shared some really cool stuff about her heritage... some personal writings and items. I just love her! I am glad to be her friend (a couple of the ladies are not very nice to her... they are obviously wealthy and a little uppity, but I'm sure they'll come around....)
This next picture is one Jim took during a part where I and about 5 other ladies were singing. It was a part for "a few, angelic voices".... I was pretty excited to be one of the angels.... we all know how I LOVE angels!


These last couple of pictures show a little more of the group and a little of the orchestra.... and
a little more of the beauty of the building.


I want all my children and grandchildren to know that a big part of me is the love of music... and it is my fervent hope that they all develop that love and they are able to experience the pure joy of music in their lives.

posted by a "singing Gramma"

2 comments:

Donna said...

I remember singing with you in church choir years ago... it was amazing! My dream is to grow up and sing in Master Chorale or something similar someday. Enjoy living your dream. You deserve it.

Heather said...

This post made me cry! Looks like it was a beautiful night. You can't even know how badly I wish I could have been there. It's wonderful to see you singing again. You look 100% in your element up there. Carol (was that her name? oops) Is absolutely adorable! She just LOOKS like a great person to know. What a great night. And yes, this love of music is something else, isn't it? It adds such depth and color to life that I could never live without and I truly feel sorry for any one who doesn't take time to enjoy the music of life. Love you so much, Mom, thanks for giving me the love of music. :)

(now that I've been sappy, I have to tell you my word verification word is "gasess", hopefully the other singers weren't sharing their "gasess" with you while you were singing, ha ha ha!)